We are RECRUITING! Interested in a Director of the Fonds d'Accélération position? Apply now!
October 13, 2017
DIRECTOR OF THE FONDS D'ACCÉLÉRATION
CQDM is a not-for-profit pharma-based consortium active in biopharmaceutical research whose mission is to fund the development of innovative tools and technologies to accelerate drug discovery. Unique in the world, CQDM’s business model is based on a collaborative approach where all stakeholders share the costs of biopharmaceutical research and benefit from its results. CQDM also provides a common meeting ground where academia, governments, biotechs and the pharmaceutical industry converge to address numerous complex medical challenges. CQDM benefits from the financial support of Merck, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, GlaxoSmithKline, Eli Lilly, Janssen, Novartis and Sanofi, 9 of the 12 largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, the Government of Quebec through its Ministry of Economy, Science and Innovation (MESI), and the Government of Canada. Since its inception, CQDM has raised $65M, built an impressive portfolio of 60 outstanding technologies that impact biopharmaceutical research, and mobilized a national and international network of over 800 researchers from 74 different public and private research institutions. Information: www.cqdm.org.
CQDM was recently mandated by the Ministère de l’Économie de la Science et de l’Innovation (MESI) to manage the Fonds d’Accélération en Santé du Québec, a $75M fund launched by the MESI, to support and strengthen collaborations across the life sciences innovation chain in Quebec.
Summary of position
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer of CQDM, the person selected willbe responsible for the overall management of the Fonds d’Accélération en Santé du Québec and will be the main contact person for the MESI.
1. Manage the Fund's management team:
- Identify and hire resources necessary to carry out the management mandate;
- Supervise the internal and external resources and coordinate all activities related to the Fonds d’Accélération.
2. Evaluation of Funding Applications:
Manage the entire evaluation process of the proposals:
- Appoint presidents of the evaluation committees;
- Identify and appoint members of evaluation committees;
- Assume responsibility for the logistics of evaluation process;
- Prepare evaluation reports with the committees chairs.
- Execute research agreements and establish a detailed Gantt chart for each project;
- Supervise the management of funded projects and maintain close interactions with the investigators;
- Receive and evaluate financial and scientific reports of R & D projects;
- Nominate and constitute the Research Oversight Committees (ROCs);
- Manage the meetings of the Research Oversight Committees (ROCs);
- Ensure the disbursement of R&D projects;
- Monitor several performance indicators related to the R&D projects;
- Produce all interim and annual reports required by the MESI;
- Main contact person for the MESI.
Education and experience
- Ph.D. in a discipline within the field of life sciences;
- Project management training is an important asset;
- 5 to 10 years minimum experience in managing funding programs or human health projects;
- Relevant experience in the management of scientific research calls for proposals of is an asset;
- Experience in managing a small team is an asset;
- Knowledge of academic and industrial research networks in Quebec.
Abilities and qualifications
- Perfectly bilingual, with excellent writing skills in both languages;
- Capacity to manage multiple simultaneous projects while prioritizing tasks;
- Detail oriented and thorough;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly competitive environment with proven ability in achieving results;
- Initiative and autonomous with good leadership qualities;
- Exceptional organizational skills;
- Credibility established within the scientific community;
- Dynamic and teamwork;
- Agile, with an ability to integrate into a small organization;
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite.